From: Eric Lombardi [mailto:eric@no.address]
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 11:25 AM
To: KGrobe@no.address; 'Jenny Bagby'; greenyes@no.address
Subject: RE: [greenyes] Seattle Mayor Proposing Bans on Recyclables

Karin,

Thanks for drawing out attention to two of the most significant current
events in the recycling world.  And while these two approaches may be very
different, I don't think they are necessarily exclusive of each other.  In
fact, I am quite excited by the Portola Valley approach and would like to
know a lot more about it.  The idea of creating more widespread bans on
landfilling would in fact just strengthen the efficacy of the Portola Valley
system.

There is one astounding element of the Portola Valley program that caused me
to chuckle, and I'd love to hear from Richard (if he's out there on
GreenYes) on this issue.  In order to preserve the ability to charge the
homeowner a "unit" rate for garbage, the system requires that the yard
trimmings be separated from the trash at the home, but then when the
collection truck arrives, the two streams are mixed together for hauling.
There MUST be another way solve this PAYT dilemma, or, why not just have a
truck with three compartments instead of just two?

Love to hear what others think.  That article Karin sent on Portola Valley
really is worth reading, and my kudos go to Richard Gertman for offering the
world something new.  I like it, but I'll bet a lot of folks on GreenYes
won't.

Eric Lombardi
Executive Director
Eco-Cycle, Inc