Re: [greenyes] design solutions - multi-unit dwellings
Hi All,

This is a very important topic, especially if expanded to the design of collection systems in the buildings.

The usual garbage chute is a failure when it comes to recycling.  The idea of having multiple chutes is a bit better, but you can imagine the challenge with that as well.

Additionally, there are so many buildings that have no facility for a program that gets the recycling from the units to the collection area without the tenants walking to the collection area themselves.

How could we retrofit the buildings or desing this into the building from the start?  How can we design collection for multifamily, or even office buildings better?

As a municipal recycling coordinator in the field every day, I'd love to hear a world of input on the subject

Thanks,

Kim Springer
BFI - San Carlos, CA

>>> "Waste Not" <wastenot@no.address> 05/08/03 05:45PM >>>
Hello!

I am researching design solutions for waste and recyclables storage in multi-unit dwellings (from townhouse complexes to high-rises) - the more innovative the better!  More focussed on communal storage areas, rather than in-apartment solutions.

The focus is on design, rather than specific solutions... so far all that I have found of much use is the Better Practice Guide for WM is MUDs by Resource NSW, Australia.

Perhaps some examples of best practice that people know of?

Many thanks,

Jessica North
Resource Consultant

Waste Not