[greenyes] Demise of the Chelsea Center
FYI--I am posting this on behalf of Michael Dimino who is not subscribed to
the list. Please do not reply to me about the posting. The Chelsea Center's
closing due to a devastating cut in state funding is a real shame and a big
loss for the recycling market development community. --Kivi Leroux Miller,
EcoScribe Communications

_____

Michael's Message:

As some of you are already aware, the continued existence of the Chelsea
Center has been a central issue for several months now.  This period of
struggle, serious consideration, and reflection has convinced us that the
Chelsea Center no longer has the support required to continue its activities
into the coming fiscal year.  Despite a generous offer from the Chancellor
of UMass Lowell to continue staff support through FY04 at half the FY03
rate, we have been unable to secure adequate additional public or private
funding in order to maintain a meaningful program.  For this reason,
effective June 30, 2003, the Chelsea Center will close.  This has not been
an easy decision, but we believe it is the appropriate one.

The Chelsea Center will honor all existing contractual obligations through
the end of this fiscal year.  Until June 30th, please direct any questions
and concerns to me via telephone at 617-887-2300 or email to
michaeld@no.address

As a project of the Lowell Center for Sustainable Production at UMass
Lowell, we anticipate that the web site, publications and library resources
will be housed and supported there.  As of July 1, 2003 inquiries related
specifically to the Chelsea Center may be directed to Cathy Crumbley,
Program Director, via telephone at 978-934-2980 or email to
Cathy_Crumbley@no.address

For matters pertaining both to broader as well as specific issues related to
recycling market development programs and activities in Massachusetts,
please contact Steve Long at the Massachusetts Department of Environmental
Protection via telephone at 617-292-5734 or email to
Stephen.Long@no.address

We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your
contributions to the Chelsea Center over its nearly decade long existence.
There have been many successes and accomplishments as well as lessons
learned.  We can only hope that a legacy will remain upon which to continue
the efforts to create a sustainable materials economy in Massachusetts,
where businesses will thrive that rely on locally discarded goods for their
raw materials.

These are difficult times, and inevitably, there will be casualties.
Personally, I am grateful for having had the opportunity to work with all of
you and hope that our paths will cross again in the future.

Sincerely,
Michael Dimino