[greenyes] Where does the recycled materiaL go?

Hello, I am new to this and I have one burning question at the moment.  Where does the recycled material go after it has been separated?  I understand it can go back into the local community, but, What if there is no local "factory" for recycled materials? What if they have to ship it out of town or state? Where does it go?  How can I find out?  I live in Spokane,WA.  Also, how do I go about learning what the percentages of recycled materials do various cities produce? Like Jackson, AL, or Sacramento, CA , or any other Major city?