Re: [greenyes] Campus Recycling - Year End
Bowling Green State University has just completed its second year
of year end campus recycling.  Growing locally, it is also serving to
model other campus programs.  Involving students who live off-
campus may be a good next step.   I believe BGSU has about
7500 students living on campus.  Below is some publicity on the
BGSU program.

Don Scherer

When you Move Out, Don?t Throw It Out? campaign nets goods for
needy

Area food pantries are overstocked, families in transition have
received furniture, and needy people throughout the area are
sporting new clothes, all thanks to the overwhelming generosity of
BGSU students and some community members.
For the second year in a row, University students and staff have
collected unwanted clothing, household goods and non-
perishable food items for distribution to a number of food pantries,
homeless and domestic violence shelters, and other
organizations for the needy in the area.
?I didn?t think it would be possible to collect more than we did last
year, but we did,? said Nick Hennessy, associate director of
residence life for educational initiatives, which headed up the
effort. ?It far exceeded my expectations.?
?When You Move Out, Don?t Throw It Out? collection bins were
placed in all residence halls and convenience stores around
campus. The collection gave departing students a way to put their
cast-offs to good use, Hennessy said.
Food donations alone weighed in between 40,000-50,000
pounds, including 10 pallets of tomato-based products given by
an off-campus advocate for feeding the hungry. Clothing donations
were ?very high,? Hennessy said, with hundreds of name-brand
coats, jeans, sweaters, shirts and shoes. About 45 irons were
among the numerous household items donated, along with
personal hygiene supplies.
Students

18