[greenyes] crushed glass as landfill cell packing
as your county saves the landfill money on their avoided cell-packaging costs, do you earn a tipping credit and/or a fee for the commodity you provide?

thanks,
melissa terry

 Heidi Swets <hswets@no.address> wrote:In our county of just about 21,000 in rural NE Iowa we have had to stop recycling glass into new glass containers because it was getting to be too costly to sort it compared to the market price. (Our facility services just our county & sorts and processes materials collected via a voluntary drop off system. Our workers are adults with disabilities. We handle just over 3000 tons per year.) Presently we are sending the glass to our landfill where they crush it on a pad and use it as drainage material in the development of new cells. So the landfill mines less sand from local quarries and we stop losing money on glass. Which is better?

Heidi Swets
Spectrum Recycling
Decorah, IA