Re: [GreenYes] To the Editor: How About Tax-FreeDiaperRecycling?
Hi,

I agree with the idea that diaper manufacturers should be involved in recycling their products.  However, I urge all of us to wait a bit before we get too excited about diaper recycling.

There have been several attempts to recycle or compost diapers in the past, all have failed.  This current process holds no more promise for success that those of the past.  Let's face it, you have a crappy product as input (pun intended).  It is hard for me to picture getting anything but crap out of it.

The current process has not show it can produce consistently marketable material and material that could be marketed nationwide.

At this time, I would be inclined to predict that this process will also fail to last more that 12-18 months.  I would like to be wrong, but experience suggests I am not.

All the best in the new year.

George

George P. Dreckmann
Recycling Coordinator
City of Madison, WI

608-267-2626  FAX  608-267-1120
gdreckmann@no.address

"I have snatched my share of joy from the grudging hand of fate as I have jogged along.
But never has life held for me anything quite so entrancing as baseball."
                                                                                                                    Clarence Darrow