RE [GreenYes] margarine/yogurt tubs, HDPE
Dear All,
  Here's more on the topic of HDPE injection-mold grade compared to blow-mold
grade.  Excuse the length, but keep reading.  There are some juicy bits at
the end.

  The melt index (MI) of plastic is a created thing, i.e., as I understand
it, the molecular structure & molecular weight (which determine how stiff or
runny the resin is) are caused by the type of reactor process that cracks the
petrochemical feedstock, then drives the chemical reaction yielding the resin
raw material.  These technologies are very complicated & change all the time.
 I don't know the technical terms for current processes that create injection
vs. blow-mold grades.
  I can explain the molding behavior of each.  Injection-mold grade HDPE (or
other resin created in injection-mold grade) has a high melt flow index (MFI
or MI) meaning how fast it travels a given distance in a given time - hence
how quickly it fills a mold.  Injection-mold grade is preferred for
wide-mouth containers, also for objects with complicated shapes (e.g., toys)
because it moves fast & can be molded cheaply.  The mold (die) for an
injection-molded item has many orifices allowing the runny plastic to be
forced into the mold through many holes to fill the mold quickly.  High unit
output = low unit price.
  Blow-mold grade HDPE (or other resins created in blow-mold grades) have
very low MIs.  They're often called fractional melt, because they can be a
fraction of (less than) 1.  As  Peter said, they can also be 1, while
injection grades have high numbers like 40.
  Blow mold HDPE flows slowly by comparison.  But the key things are its
stiffness and strength.  Blow mold can literally be blown up like a balloon
and will resist the pull of gravity.  This allows the "balloon" to be blown
up inside the mold, thru a single orifice, and because the resin holds its
shape, it will expand out to fill the dimensions/form of the mold.  Also, the
finished product is stronger (better crack resistance, less chance of pinhole
failure, etc) than an injection-molded item.
  Blow-molding is suited for making bottles due to their narrow-neck shape,
and specialized molding systems make it efficient.  Blow-molding is not the
choice for yogurt tubs, complex or irregular shapes, etc.  That's why the
best HDPE markets are for bottles to bottles.  Another reason is that HDPE
bottles can be used for many HICs (household industrial chemicals, AKA
laundry or dish detergent, many other products).  This avoids the issue of
using post-consumer HDPE bottle plastic in food-contact applications.  HDPE
bottles are also strong for heavy loads, such as a gallon of some liquid.
  Many HDPE injection-molded containers are for lightweight products (butter,
CoolWhip, etc).  Toys & so on tend to be weak & break easily, tho moreso with
PS (polystyrene) than with HDPE.  Markets for injection-molded containers are
not so hot because (1) many applications are food-contact (a problem with
post-consumer HDPE); and other applications such as toys are wanted in
brilliant pure colors.  When you mix together HDPE of many different
pigments, plus the inks on packaging, you generally get a dull army green
colored blend.  It's very difficult to convert this color to something
pretty; mainly secondary molders add carbon black & make black products (of
which there are many, e.g., car part insides that aren't visible).

  Now to the juicy bits.

  It isn't true that blow-mold grade HDPE can only & forever be blow-mold
grade, or injection grade only that.  There are many companies, called custom
blenders (or something like that), that specialize in making many different
blends of HDPE and other resins.  Also, there are many different products
needing a range of MIs.
  Take recycling set-out containers for instance.  Say the famous blue box or
stackable containers still used in places that haven't gone to single stream
cart systems.  And say they're being used in Canada or MN.  Many of these
containers are molded from medium density PE (MDPE), yes, a blend of
blow-mold & injection-mold PE that stands up better to cold temps.
  This may be an obscure example, but my point is that custom blenders can
formulate just about any MI.  The nature of plastics is their plasticity, &
the nature of plastic molders is that they can & do adapt plastic MIs to tons
of applications (products) made thru a dizzying range of molding systems.
  In other words, the plastics industry could use all available post-consumer
injection grade HDPE in recycled products, if they put their minds to it.
And if we consumers were not so particular about colors...

  Another option we should seriously revisit is mixed plastic lumber (and
other multi-dimensional products now possible).
  Yes, there are wonderful products available from LDPE & wood that are
terrific for uses like decks.  But I'm talking about really mixed
plastics--blow-mold & injection HDPE, LDPE, PP, plus measured amounts of PVC,
PS, PET, & other.  Not to mention tramp materials (paper & plastic labels,
bits of dirt, grit, glass, food, whatever).
  As long as you have 60% polyolefins (HDPE, LDPE, & PP) and half & half film
and rigid--both of which closely match the percentage of these resins in the
discard stream--then existing, proven technologies can produce landscape
timbers, posts, fences, compression molded (all-of-a-piece) pallets,
interlocking blocks for retaining walls, more.  Not to mention lumber for
park benches, picnic tables, and other things we should not be making from
wood.
  Mixed plastic recycling gives a solution for what to do with dirty plastics
from single stream collections; sidesteps the issue of food contact; provides
an end-use for #3-7 resins PLUS margarine, yogurt, & most other wide-mouth
HDPE containers; gives products that encapsulate (hence reduce) a percentage
of MRF outthrows, more.
  Folks have asked "how many picnic tables & park benches can we use?"  I
look at parks, beaches, bus stops, other potential gathering places, & think
lots more than we have now.  The technology is relatively cheap compared to
other plastics recycling systems. And it's possible to do recipes that allow
a range of colors besides brown, green or black.

  It's worth some thought...

Resourcefully,
Gretchen Brewer
Earth Circle