RE: [GreenYes] #1 plastic cups
Karen,
I applaud your effort here!!   If you haven't checked this allready, however, you'll want to do so ASAP: are #1 plastic cups actually recyclable in your local program?  Many programs that accept #1 and #2 plastics will ONLY accept bottles/jugs/jars...They won't accept cups, take out containers, or tubs, EVEN IF they are #1 and #2 plastics...It has something to do with the way containers without a neck are made and they melt at different temperatures, so they aren't accepted in most programs...If the program coordinators are educated that well they'll tell you you can recycle them, when infact the local market may be discarding them in the trash anyway.

Also, theres a slight possibility that #6 plastic cups may have a local market...I think some Dart Container plants may accept #6 plastic with #6 foam recycling...These programs are far and few between, and our local Dart plant only accepts foam, but it's something to look into.

The Skydome in Toronto, at least when I was up there a few years ago, does have a recycling program in place for plastic cups.  When I was up there I remember seeing bins all over the place for plastic cups, I also remember them having a BFI logo on the bins.  So I'd track down the Skydome and see whats up...I'm not sure if their cups were #1 or #6, but I'd assume they were one or the other...I recently saw beverage cups at church that were #5, so I don't know which plastic cup would be more marketable in your area...But do make sure you do research as to weather CUPS are recyclable in your program.

Dart Container can be reached at 1-800-288-CARE.

I'm curious as to how this all turns out, so if you think about it let me know then...

good luck!

Steve Weisser
Lancaster PA

----
Stephen N. Weisser
----
Child Poverty rates: 20% US, 34% Wash. DC, 25% CA, 35% New Orleans.
Highest of any country in the western world.
2% in Scandinavia and they're ashamed of it.
----
 http://www.greenpartylancasterpa.org
 http://www.greenpartyus.org
----