[GreenYes] Re: [Greenyes Digest] V3 #92Apartment recycling
In Chapel Hill and Carrboro NC over 90% of apartment complexes serving 13,000 units are on our 'free' and voluntary apartment recycling service.complexes allow us to set out and collect by contractor a series of carts for source separated recycling at one or more dumpster locations in their complexes. the program works reasonable well & has been up and running since 1991.  Some managers promote the program and even put it in their rental brochures, others are very passive about it. ''

Further: we have a mandate for not landfilling non-residential corrugatd cardboard recycling & it works. The Towns have cardboard cops that police the dumpsters and tag those with cardboard so they are not collected until the cardboard is removed, but we're small, three towns, one is 50,000, one is 18,000 and one is 6,000. so not a problem to enforce as it's also enforced rigorously at the landfill. Hope this is useful. Places with a larger  commerical sector maybe  have a harder time recycling.

Blair Pollock
Solid Waste Programs Manager
(919) 968-2788
fax: (919) 932-2900
PO Box 17177
Chapel Hill, NC 27516-7177

>>> owner-greenyes@grrn.org 09/10/02 11:30PM >>>

[Greenyes Digest]     Tuesday, September 10 2002     Volume 03 : Number 092

RE: [GreenYes] (apartment) recycling

As an aside, I find mandates to be a bit strange.  Generally, they seem
to be inconsistently applied and infrequently (if ever) enforced.  When
was the last time you saw the garbage police check someone's garbage for
recyclables and give them a citation for non-compliance with the
municipality's recycling mandate?
Furthermore, when these laws are passed without the means to enforce
them, it's no wonder that people ignore them.

On the positive side, groups that educate and empower citizens to take
responsibility for their own waste streams seem to fair better.
- -Andy Fairbanks, City of Jacksonville SWARM and University of North
Florida student

Andrew D. Fairbanks
Solid Waste and Resource Management
Jacksonville, Florida 32202-3713

lease be sure to read the faq and netiquette
pages before posting.