[GreenYes] CRRA 2002 song lyrics
Many of those who attended the CRRA Conference in Oakland requested copies of the songs.
CRRA 2002;
Everyone Comes To Rick's;
A cabaret of recycled culture complete with
Casablanca characters along with a compendium of classic and au courant craziness with an a cappella chorus.

On
Tuesday, July 16, 2002, Northern California Recycling Association Players and the Recycle Sisters in conjunction with Richard Anthony Associates performed; Everyone Comes to Rick's, a musical takeoff of the classic film, Casablanca. Hosted by Rick Anthony, the show played to a packed house in the A. J.  Toppers nightclub atop Oakland's Marriott Hotel for the California Resource Recovery Association Oakland conference. Here is the lyrics of the original and soon-to-be popular hits suitable for humming. For more information, including movie and sheet music rights, CD's, or just where to send cash contributions, contact NCRA at www.ncrarecycles.org, P.O. Box 5581, Berkeley, CA 94705, (510)217-2433.

Don't Fence Me Out

(lyrics by Ruth Abbe and Doug Dorn) Oh give me junk, lost of junk with many components
Don't fence me out
Let me forage for the stuff that no one seems to want
Don't fence me out
Let me rummage in the trash of them gated communities
Search through the junk for all those missed opportunities
Forage on forever, but I ask you please
Don't fence me out
Oh don't you start, make me part with my
favorite shopping cart
Don't fence me out
Don't be rude and don't be smart, dumpster
diving is an art
Don't fence me out
Let me wonder over yonder though the streets
are gritty
Besso's thrown me out of that other big city
Gotta let me scavenge 'cause I'm asking real pretty
Don't fence me out

As Time Goes By
(lyrics by Ruth Abbe)
You must remember this
Be careful what you wish
Recycling stuff you still have stuff
And zero waste is not enough
As time goes by
And when your lunch is through
Well it's not through with you
Be careful what you buy
'Cause styrofoam will not degrade
As time goes by
You know recycling's never out of date
Reduce consumption while it's not too late
Reduce, restore
We can do so much more
On this you can rely
It's still the same old story
Recycling plastic's pretty gory
Be careful what you buy
'Cause zero waste is not enough
As time goes by

Don't Go Down to the Dump
(lyrics by Ruth Abbe)
It's good for the bottle
It's good for the can
Recycle, reduce, reuse
We're going down to zero
Come on and be a hero
And play it once again
As time goes by
Don't go down to the dump, Sam
It's not what it appears to be
The answer to our waste you see,
Entombed for all eternity
Don't go down to the dump, Sam
It's not what it appears to be
You've got to solve this mystery
Don't buy your beer in plastic, Sam
Then take it back to Berkeley
Or to the Haight Ashbury
Although it's not a number three
Don't buy your been in plastic, Sam
Then take it back to Berkeley
Take it to the APC
We just got word from a guy who heard
That zero goes too far
Come on what's the fuss
Just rely on us
We've got to raise the bar
Don't go down to the dump, Sam
It's not what it appears to be
The answer to our waste you see,
Entombed for all eternity
Don't go down to the dump, Sam
It's not what it appears to be
You'vegot to solve this mystery

Landfill (to the tune of Downtown)
(lyrics and arrangement by Shana M. Levy)
When you are bored at your desk in the office, you can always go to the Landfill
Just put on a hard hat -- what a dapper chapeau-eau -- you'll be stylin' at the ol'  Landfill Just listen to the beeping of the possum belly's ditty
Linger 'round the old cells where the methane flames are pretty
How can you lose?  Bridge:
The seagull's are swarming there.
They make old Hitchcock look wussy
When they poop in your hair, at the Chorus:
Landfill! Things'll be great at the Landfill!
No finer place for sure!
Landfill! All that trash is just waiting for you-ou
You get out of your Prius, take a whiff of that putrid yet delightful sent, at the Landfill.
You think to yourself that your friends would all wonder where your marbles went. (Of course, landfilled.)You've got your steel-toed shoes on just in case you step on gla-ass.
The orange vest you're wearing makes you look like a real a-ass (Neon clothes!) Bridge:
The seagull's are swarming there.
They make old Hitchcock look wussy
When they poop in your hair, at the Chorus:
Landfill! Things'll be great at the Landfill!
No finer place for sure!
Landfill! All that trash is just waiting for you-ou One day the children of our grandchildren's grandchildren will wonder why we Landfilled!
Their waste will be zero even though they have prosperous and happy lives without Landfills! They'll laugh at us and how we learned that nothing decomposes,
That hot-dogs, buns, and lettuce leaves are there when the dump closes. Still intact! Bridge:
The seagull's are swarming there.
They make old Hitchcock look wussy
When they poop in your hair, at the    Chorus:
Landfill! Things'll be great at the Landfill!
No finer place for sure!
Landfill! All that trash is just waiting for you-ou

Sittin' at the Port on the Bay
(lyrics by Ruth Abbe)
Sittin' in the morning sun
I'll be sittin' 'til the evening come
Watching computers roll in
Then I watch them roll away again
Sittin' at the Port on the Bay
Watching the e-waste float away
Sittin' at the Port on the Bay
Wasting time Mactintosh and IBM
Say don't put the blame on them
Downloading's getting to slow
You gotta up date then before you know
Sittin' at the Port on the Bay
Watching the e-waste float away
Sittin' at the Port on the Bay
Wasting time Gotta closet full of CRTs
Now don't put the blame on me
Can't put it into the dump
Send it to China and they call you a chump
Sittin' at the Port on the Bay
Watching the e-waste float away
Sittin' at the Port on the Bay
Wasting time;

Walk This Way;

(lyrics by Doug Dorn w/apologies to Arrowsmith)
Now you're wantin' to be reducin' cause recylin' and reusin'
Have gotten here to stay
But getting' waste to zero
Make you a hero
Listen to what I must say Walk this way
Walk this way
Walk this way Drivin that SUV to the Nicra Party
Ain't gonna make no difference
Singin' hey diddle diddle take the path that's the middle
Gotta practice what you're preachin 'Don't you see?
Walk this way
Walk this way
Walk this way

My Heart Belongs to Oakland
(lyrics by Ruth Abbe)
Mayor Brown  (the good dresser)
Would have to frown
If I left my heart in San Francisco
As a matter of fact
Before I'd do that
I would boil it in vats full of Crisco
Jack London's fame
Finally came
When he wrote books about Alaska
And Gertrude Stein
Finally had a good time
Once she moved to Paris-just ask her
But my heart belongs to Oakland
Although sometimes I wonder where
My heart belongs to Oakland
Even though there's no there there there there
Now you better tell Tony Bennett
He'll be eating his heart right on down
'Cause my heart belongs to Oakland
You better not kick Oakland around Mayor Brown (the ambassador of the universe)
Would have to frown
If you littered a couch or a tissue
But don't expect him to kiss you
But my heart belongs to Jerry
Although sometimes I wonder where
My heart belongs to Jerry
Even though there's no there there there there
Now you better tell Mayor Brown (the one with the hats)
He'll be eating his heart right on down
'Cause my heart belongs to Oakland
And the ten thousand people downtown

Northern California Recycling Association
PO Box 5581, Berkeley, CA 94705; Phone/Fax: (510) 217-2433; ncra@ncrarecycles.org
    <

Richard Anthony Associates
ricanthony@aol.com