From: owner-greenyes@grrn.org [mailto:owner-greenyes@grrn.org]On Behalf
Of Eric Lombardi
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 5:37 PM
To: Michele Raymond; Greenyes@grrn.org
Subject: Re: [GreenYes] Recycling economics

Michele,

Why are European landfill rates so high?  Is it a pure market rate that
reflects a scarcity of landfills and/or extremely high land prices?  Or, as
I suspect, is it a reflection of a social policy to add "landfill use taxes"
of some sort?  If so, how much of these rates that you cite are market and
how much tax?

Eric Lombardi
Eco-Cycle