Re: [GreenYes] questions regarding raw vs. recycled aluminum
Dear Laura,
         No,No,No!!!  Aluminum processing, whether from ore or from
recycled cans DOES not create PCBs.  Historically, aluminum smelters
(actually "reduction plants") have been associated with PCB contamination
because PCBs were purchased and used (not produced) in machinery in the
plants.  This is true, for example, at the ALCOA plant and Reynolds plant
(now a division of ALCOA) in MAssena, NY.  As for dioxins, any combuistion
process will produce some  dioxins, so I would not be surprised if trace
quantities of dioxins are produced during the processing of aluminum
ore.  However, when aluminum is recycled it is simply melted down ---
emissions are minimal.
    Tell your friend that the environmental impact of processing aluminum
ore FAR exceeds that of recycling aluminum cans.  To wit:
         ENERGY:  it takes 20 times more energy to produce a unit of
aluminum from ore compared to melting down Al cans.  So, consider all the
environmental impacts of producing electricity, whether nuclear, coal, or
hydroelectric (dams).
         AIR POLLUTION:  Al reduction plants are notorious for spewing out
air pollutants, including flourides and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
         EARTH:  Aluminum ore is mined in the tropics, where it leaves
gaping holes in the earth. Not a pretty sight.

Don HUghes