Re: [GreenYes] Unwanted Emails
Ann,

I cannot confirm or deny your accusation that our
site is the cause of your having received spam from
the folks in Africa. I know I've been receiving spam from
them for years, even prior to being on GreenYes.
It's probably not a good idea to respond to them, as
that only validates your email address to them.

WebCrawlers go through our site all the time. They are
an integral part of how people get to our site.
Search engines like Google and Yahoo send out web robots
that go through our site to index and cross-reference our links.
However, there are also 'black hats' out there who collect
email addresses to rent or sell them to spammers.

Until now, it's been relatively easy to fend off email collectors
from harvesting email addresses, but they have become
more sophisticated. I won't bore you with details, but if
you're interested in the battle against email harvestors,
here's an interesting article that just barely hints at
the _surface_ of what I've been having to deal with:
http://www.evolt.org/article/rating/18/15126/

I'll see what more I can do on my end
to 'stop the madness', but please recognize that any time
your email address appears anywhere on the net, whether
it's on our archive or say the 'Waste Prevention Forum'
archive or the 'Great Lakes Information Network' archive,
(just to mention a few archives where Ann may have also posted,)
your email address is out there, ready to be harvested
by a 'black hat.'

Members, please let me know privately if you too have
received a _recent_ surge in emails from Africa asking for
bank account information so they can 'transfer money
to your account' after which they will share half
of it with you (or whatever).

Cheers,

Chris