[GreenYes] Producer Responsibility & Consumer Costs
I agree that consumers -- not taxpayers -- should bear the lion's share of
the cost of managing a product when it is no longer desired. I also believe
that these two groups are vastly different.

This viewed was shared by Frank Popoff, chairman of Dow, when he spoke to
Congress in 1993, saying that the complete life cycle cost of a product
should be examined and incorporated into the price of products. He went on
to say "Then we will need to pass that full cost to the ultimate consuemr so
that he or she can decide to consume or not consume based on full
information free of hidden costs or subsidies."

However, in addition to consumers, I believe that the manufacturers should
also have a responsibility -- it is they who are the only ones who can
redesign products to reduce their overall environmental impact. They also
have the greatest amount of technical knowledge of the components of their
products along with the supply chain and logistics of the flow of the
material,  and thus are in the best position to determine how they can be
reused or recovered.

The role of manufacturers for EPR was also recognized by industry members
serving on The President's Council on Sustainable Development, chaired by
David Buzzelli of Dow and Johathan Bush of the World Resources Instititute
in their 1996 report "Sustainable America. A New Consensus for Prosperity,
Opportunity, and a Healthy Environment for the Future". Other industries
represented include Ciba-Geigy, Pacific Gas and Electric, Georgia-Pacific,
S.C. Johnson & Son, Enron, and General Motors. The report calls for a
comprehensive system of manufacturers' responsibility for products.

As an example of what seems to be an extremely well run EPR system run by
industry for used oil, used oil containers, and used oil filters, see the
web page http://www.usedoilrecycling.com/ for the program in western Canada.
A business plan and list of results are given at the "About Us" button.
Noting on their web page that "Used oil is the largest, single source of
potentially hazardous recyclable material in western Canada", the oil
industry set up a comprehensive program to recycle these items with a small
fee included with sale of the product. At a presentation I attended some
years back by one of the representatives of this group, the representative
noted that the industry knew the material, knew the logistics and recognized
not only their responsibility but that they could handle the material more
effectively than government.

John Reindl, Recycling Manager
Dane County, WI