Re: [GreenYes] Fw: beverage container bill
Hi Sue,

Your daily contributions to the planet show that you take very seriously
your personal responsibility to reduce waste. I am dazzled by the many
creative ways you have found to reduce your 'ecological footprint'. You are
an example to us all.

Please understand that the intent of Senator Jeffords' bill is simply to
reward businesses who are as dedicated as you are. In the business world,
good guys need (good) regulations.

The reason for laws like the one Senator Jeffords has introduced is to
create a 'level playing field' in the beverage industry, so that companies
that do the right thing are not undercut by other companies who choose not
to recycle. Many companies would like to provide support to their consumers
so that they can recycle their containers, but the existing rules allow
other companies to avoid responsibility. As a result, billions of
containers are going to waste needlessly.

We support this bill because it recognizes that forward-thinking beverage
businesses have the know-how to design cost-effective recycling solutions
for their containers. This bill gives them a chance to do so.

As far as your observation on milk: let me say that I totally agree with
you. Many environmentalists who backed Senator Jeffords' bill would have
preferred to see milk included -- and we believe that someday the dairy
industry will be held to the same high environmental standard as other
beverage producers. In fact, we are confident that once the other beverage
companies have demonstrated leadership in their industry (the way you have
in your community) the milk producers will follow their example willingly.

Thanks for taking the trouble to speak your mind,

Helen.