[GreenYes] RELEASE: GRRN NYC Demo at Coke Shareholders Meeting
For Immediate Release
April 17, 2002
Contact:  LCG Communications: 718.853.5568

25-FOOT TALL INFLATABLE COKE BOTTLE LOOMS LARGE
AS DEMONSTRATORS URGE COKE:
"SUPPORT BIGGER BOTTLE BILL"

Shareholders, Environmental Activists,
Students, Others Join For Rally/Press
Conference at Coke Shareholders Meeting in New
York City; Tell Coke: Support Expanded Bottle
Bill in New York State, Pass Shareholder
Resolution To Take More Responsibility for
Recycling Products

Members of GrassRoots Recycling Network were
joined by the New York Public Interest Research
Group (NYPIRG), the New York City Waste
Prevention Coalition and the Container
Recycling Institute at a rally and press
conference today outside Madison Square Garden
in New York City, where the Coca-Cola Company
held its annual shareholders meeting, to urge
Coke to support an expanded Bottle Bill in New
York State and to pass a shareholder resolution
that would make the giant corporation take more
responsibility for recycling its products.

Standing beside a huge, 25-foot tall inflatable
Coke bottle inscribed with the message,
"Support Bigger Bottle Bill," Bill Sheehan,
GrassRoots Recycling Network's Executive
Director told the crowd, "We stand here today
as part of a national effort to expose the
abysmal job that's being done at the corporate
level to stop littering the nation with
empties.  Over 100 billion single serve
containers are buried, burned or littered each
year in the United States.

"Coke knows the solution that works because
they invented it -- deposits.  The ten states
with deposits recycle more than the other 40
states put together, at almost no cost to
taxpayers.  But Coke fights deposits and bottle
bill expansions like the one that is about to
be introduced in New York State.  They fight
deposits because they don't want to take
responsibility for their packaging waste - they
want taxpayers to foot the bill," Sheehan said.

Assemblyman Thomas P. DiNapoli (D-LI), Chair of
the Assembly Environmental Conservation
Committee, will soon be introducing an expanded
Bottle Bill into the New York State Assembly.
The bill would expand the current law to cover
non-carbonated beverages, require unclaimed
Bottle Bill deposits to be returned to the
state to fund municipal waste reduction and
recycling projects, and specify which materials
must, at a minimum, be recycled in New York and
prohibit these materials from being
incinerated, landfilled, or mixed with ordinary
garbage.

"New York State's Bottle Bill was first passed
in 1982, when there simply weren't as many
canned and bottled beverages," explained
Timothy Logan, Chair of the New York City Waste
Prevention Coalition.  "The current bill only
covers carbonated beverages and that, as you
know, doesn't begin to cover the many different
beverages in cans and bottles in the market
right now. Due to the recent economic downturn
and the toll of the September 11th tragedy upon
the City and State's economy, we now find our
environment in greater peril.  Now more that
ever, we need to decrease the impacts of waste
export.  While Coke has traditionally opposed
any expansion of bottle bills, we hope that our
presence here helps persuade Coke that New York
State needs a bigger, better Bottle Bill," he
added.

"It's very timely that this effort has come
visibly to New York right now," said Laura
Haight, Senior Environmental Associate at
NYPIRG.  "Our City is threatened with budget
cuts, and our Mayor has said publicly that he
wants to cut back on recycling.  With greater
cooperation from producers like Coke, recycling
can become more efficient and actually save
money for government and for consumers," she
said.

Inside the Coke shareholders' meeting, a
shareholders' resolution was debated that would
require Coke's board of directors to report to
shareholders by September 1, 2002, on its
efforts to adopt a comprehensive recycling
strategy, including the means and feasibility
of achieving, by January 1, 2005, a recovery
rate of 80% for its beverage containers bottled
in North America as well as the company's plans
to increase recycled content in beverage
containers. (A complete copy of the resolution
is available upon request.)

Yesterday, the GrassRoots Recycling Network and
the Container Recycling Institute helped
support efforts to pass the shareholders'
resolution at today's Coke meeting by placing
an "op-ad" on the opinion page of the New York
Times.  (Copies of the ad are available upon
request.)

The ad implores, in part: "Coke and Pepsi-STOP
Trashing America! It's time for Coke and Pepsi
to take responsibility for their bottle and can
waste, instead of passing it off on taxpayers.
Every year, 45 billion aluminum and plastic
containers are wasted in the U.S.-- the
equivalent of 320 million barrels of oil over
the next ten years. Why, when taxpayers are so
burdened, should we pay for picking up Coke and
Pepsi's litter? Shareholders: Vote FOR Coca-
Cola proxy Item No. 4 today."

"Coke and Pepsi reap huge benefits from the
sale of soda in containers that cost more than
the contents inside," said Pat Franklin,
Executive Director of the Container Recycling
Institute. "While producers reap huge profits,
particularly from the 20-ounce PET bottle,
local governments and taxpayers get stuck with
disposal and recycling costs.  Our message to
Coke and Pepsi is this:  'You can stop the flow
of litter, trash and wasted resources by
calling a halt to your war on bottle bills,'"
she added.

Efforts to support greater producer
responsibility and the expanded New York State
Bottle Bill will continue, with other pieces of
legislation and action planned for the near
future.

(Updated information on the national push for
greater producer responsibility in recycling,
bottle bills, etc. can be found on the
GrassRoots Recycling Network website:
http://www.grrn.org)

About the groups:
GrassRoots Recycling Network (www.grrn.org) is
a North American network of waste reduction
activists and professionals dedicated to
achieving sustainable production and
consumption based on the principle of Zero
Waste;

Container Recycling Institute (www.container-
recycling.org) is a non-profit organization
that studies and promotes policies and
practices that shift the social and
environmental costs associated with
manufacturing, recycling, and disposal of
container and packaging waste from government
and taxpayers to producers and consumers;

New York Public Interest Research Group
(www.nypirg.org) is New York's largest
statewide nonprofit consumer and environmental
advocacy group.  NYPIRG was instrumental in
passage of the 1982 Bottle Bill and has been a
longtime advocate for recycling and waste
prevention;

New York City Waste Prevention Coalition is a
network of organizations and individuals
dedicated to promoting waste prevention as the
most responsible, environmentally sound and
cost-effective means to solve New York City's
mounting solid waste problems.

###