Re: [GreenYes] Fw: How To Drive Down Gas Prices
Here is a response from my father (an oil analyst with Gate Petroleum in
Jacksonville, so the references included make more sense) to the email
referenced below:

Several of you have forwarded me an e-mail that is being widely circulated
advocating not buying gasoline from companies that purchase crude oil from
Saudi Arabia and other countries that support terrorism.

While one cannot argue with the concept, implementation is impossible for
several reasons:
  a.. Crude oil is not like breakfast cereal, shampoo and other items that
might sit on a shelf if consumers chose another brand.  The amount of crude
oil being produced in the world (at least when OPEC has its act together) is
very close to the amount of oil being consumed.  If a U.S. refiner decides
to buy barrels from Mexico instead of from Saudi Arabia, then some other
refiner that might have purchased the Mexican oil will then have to buy the
Saudi oil.  In other words, some one will have to buy the Saudi oil.
  b.. Even if a refiner does not purchase crude oil directly from the
Saudis, it may end up with Saudi oil.  It takes 6 weeks to move oil cargos
from the Middle East to the Texas/Louisiana Gulf Coast.  The cargos may be
traded 5 or 6 times from one company to another during that period.
  c.. Even if one could accurately identify refiners that use Saudi oil, it
is impossible for a consumer (or for Gate) to identify the origin of the
crude oil used to make gasoline we purchase at a terminal.  For example the
Exxon gasoline in Jax does not come from an Exxon refinery but either from
the Hess refinery in St. Croix or a Chevron refinery in Texas or Louisiana.
In Jax, Hess, Citgo, Exxon and Shell gasoline all come out of the Hess
terminal.  In Tampa, Exxon and BP/Amoco gasoline come out of the Marathon
terminal.  Marathon gets its gasoline from a variety of sources.
  d.. Throughout the Midwest , Southeast and MId-Atlantic regions gasoline
moves to terminals via pipelines.  Often the product is traded during the 14
days it takes to move gasoline from Houston to New York harbor.
  e.. Gasoline in the tanks at terminals are often a mixture of shipments
received from a variety of sources.  If BP is running low in Jax and their
cargo is delayed, they may swap with Chevron here and pay Chevron back with
a similar amount of gasoline in New Orleans.
Darby Hoover                          rpc@econet.org
Executive Director                 www.papercoalition.org
Recycled Paper Coalition