GreenYes Archives
[GreenYes Archives] - [Thread Index] - [Date Index]
[Date Prev] - [Date Next] - [Thread Prev] - [Thread Next]

RE: [GreenYes] Waste generation rates

I think that might be the trick – the report also says:  Of all solid waste received at VA facilities, 66.77% was MSW, 16.54% was C/D/D waste, and the remainder was other types of waste.

So, if Virginia is counting 66% of it’s waste as “municipal”, then perhaps it is defined differently than Wisconsin’s is. Or New Mexico.  Or Colorado.  Or….


Here’s the site for the full report if anyone’s interested:


John, does the trash-generating public in Wisconsin know that statistic?  It seems to me they might get discouraged if their best recycling efforts would only affect 20% of the problem.  Or, are you focusing your reduction efforts on the other 80%?




-----Original Message-----
From: Reindl, John []
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 1:58 PM
To: ''; 'Justin Stockdale'; 'Helen Spiegelman'
Cc: 'GreenYes'
Subject: [GreenYes] Waste generation rates


The other part of the question is what's included or not included in the waste generation rates. Here in Wisconsin, household waste is somewhere around 20% of waste generation; commercial and industrial process waste is the other 80 some percent.


John Reindl

Dane County, WI

-----Original Message-----
From: []
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 12:15 PM
To: 'Justin Stockdale'; 'Helen Spiegelman'
Cc: 'GreenYes'
Subject: RE: [GreenYes] Landfill Tipping Fees

Hi all,


We don’t have very good data collection in Colorado, but every time someone tries to figure the wasting rates along the Front Range (where everyone lives) the per capita rates are always up much higher than the EPA 4.4 lb rate … how confident are we with the EPA rate?




Eric Lombardi

Executive Director

EcoCycle, Inc

Boulder, CO



-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Justin Stockdale
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 10:35 AM
To: Helen Spiegelman
Cc: GreenYes
Subject: Re: [GreenYes] Landfill Tipping Fees


I can't give any clues to what is happening in VA, but it is good to know, or at least suspect that New Mexico is not the only state posting numbers over 8 pounds per person per day.
Justin Stockdale

Helen Spiegelman wrote:

 At 11:27 AM 04/10/2002 -0400, Terri quoted:
21,796,507 tons of solid waste
were received at Virginia's permitted solid waste management facilities
during calendar year 2000.  Of this total, 17,324,961 tons originated in the

VA's population in 2000 was 7,078,515, working out to a waste generation rate of 2.45 tons per capita, or 13.4 pounds per day. According to the report 2/3 of this was MSW, amounting to 8.85 pounds per day. Compare this to the national average percapita generation of municipal solid waste in 1997 reported by EPA (Characterization update) of 4.44 pounds per person per day. Please check my numbers. If they're right, does anyone have any ideas about this?


[GreenYes Archives] - [Date Index] - [Thread Index]
[Date Prev] - [Date Next] - [Thread Prev] - [Thread Next]