[GreenYes] Fwd: Enviro Benefits of Recycling New York City's MGP containers

Jennifer Gitlitz

Senior Research Associate, Container Recycling Institute

Home office:

1010 Pleasant St.

Worcester, MA 01602

Phone: (508) 793-8516

eFax: (928) 833-0460

e-mail: jengitlitz@aol.com

Container Recycling Institute
1911 Ft Myer Drive, Suite 702
Arlington, Virginia  22209
Phone: (703) 276-9800
Fax 703.276.9587
www.Container-Recycling.org

Terri, that is 320,000 TONS (not pounds) per year (I read this in the 2/14
New York Post article).  Re: environmental benefits of recycling this: I have
done the following calculation:

1) assume 40% is trashed. That leaves 192,000 tons of containers recycled
through NYC curbside.

2) Using the average curbside beverage container weight breakdown in the BEAR
response doc (2/7) for deposit states: 87% glass, 2.4% UBCs, 10.6% plastic, I
came up with:  4,608 tons of aluminum cans, 20,352 tons of plastic bottles,
and 167,040  tons of glass bottles.

3) My rough and dirty calculation of some of the NET environmental benefits
of this recycling are: the energy equivalent of 258 thousand barrels of crude
oil saved, and 45 thousand tons (MTCE) of greenhouse gas emissions avoided.

Even if more of the glass is actually landfilled, it doesn't change the
enviro benefits total very much--the majority of the benefits accrue from
recycling aluminum and plastics.

--Jenny Gitlitz