[GreenYes] Recycling budgets on the ropes in some cities
WASTE NEWS (Tuesday, February 12, 2002)

Headline News

Recession hits some cities´ recycling budgets harder than others

(Feb. 11) -- Recycling services could continue unaffected in some major
cities, while others will be tightening their belts in response to the
recessionary economy.
Many recycling coordinators and public works officials have submitted
budget proposals to their respective city councils for approval. They do
not expect to have to cut services, despite the downturn in the U.S. economy.
"I do not anticipate in any way, shape or form a cutback in the present
level of service," said Joseph F. Casazza, Boston´s public works
commissioner. "The mayor of Boston has said, through this fiscal stress
that we´re going through, we´re not going to reduce the level of service
we´re providing."
Casazza said he hopes the department may be able to modestly expand the
city´s recycling program. The budget proposal includes some expanded
services in it, though the city will not be able to add as much as it would
like, he said.
But Philadelphia, drawing half of its operating budget from the general
fund, will have to make some cuts.
"I think over the two budget cycles, it´s going to be painful," said David
Robinson, Philadelphia´s recycling coordinator. "I think we´re probably in
better shape than some other cities I´ve talked to, but we´re hanging on by
a thread like everyone else."
The next budget cycle could see as much as a 20 percent cut, Robinson said.
Further cuts may be necessary if the economy doesn´t turn around soon.
"Recycling´s sort of lost its sex appeal, and we really are struggling
right now for survival," he said.
In Portland, which reports a 53.6 percent recycling rate, recycling should
be relatively unaffected, said Bruce Walker, manager of the city´s
recycling program. The city gets its funding from franchise agreements with
waste and recycling service providers rather than taxpayers.
"The changes will be minimal adjustments that, more or less, aren´t worth
reporting," Walker said. "However, I say that with a knock on wood."
Though the recycling program doesn´t draw from the general fund, there is
always the possibility that the City Council could tap into the recycling
program´s money. But that is a long shot, Walker said.
"It would raise it to a whole new level, because that hasn´t occurred to
date," he said.
Even though services to residents should maintain the status quo, some
cities are feeling the crunch when it comes time to sell their recyclables.
Phoenix´s glass processor closed last year in the midst of the recession,
and mills have reduced the tonnage of old corrugated containers they are
buying, said Christine Holloway, solid waste administrator for the city.
Phoenix contracts with a subsidiary of Waste Management Inc., which
operates the city´s material recovery facility and markets the material.
The city cannot cut back on funding to the recycling program because it
must continue its curbside service, Holloway said.
"As long as we´re still collecting recycled material from blue barrels, you
can´t cut back on the program, because the tonnage is still up on the front
end," she said.
[ Home Page ]

Pat Franklin
Executive Director