[GreenYes] Re: #3-7 plastics at curbside
To Tim and Melissa,

First, I want to say that I fully agree with the policy that you outline
regarding collecting materials that are not recycled.  No collection program
should ever advertise that they collect a material for recycling, and then
throw it away.

However, based in part on Oregon data, I think there might be very
legitimate reasons to support an "all-plastic bottle" collection program.

The vast majority of material collected in an all-bottle program should be
recyclable.  PET (#1) and HDPE (#2) should all be recyclable, except perhaps
some odd-colored PET or PET with certain barrier plastics.  I'm sure Pete
Anderson could add a lot about this subject.

However, a fair amount of the other 3-7 plastic can be recycled with #2 HDPE
- at least in small quantities.  Polypropylene - #5 - and low density
polyethylene - #4, both are usually acceptable in small quantities in HDPE
bottle loads.  The reason is that all three of these are polyolefins, and
are fairly compatible.

Also, a fair amount of #7 plastic is also recyclable with #2 high-density
polyethylene.  Much #7 plastic is polyethylene or polypropylene with barrier
layers, but the barrier layers do not interfere much with certain recycling
processes.

This leaves #3 PVC and #6 Polystyrene as being the main problems, along with
some #7 (all other plastic) and maybe some #1.  However, these materials are
pretty uncommon in plastic bottles.  The Oregon Department of Environmental
Quality conducts a regular waste composition study every two years, and
specifically looks at the quantity of different plastic bottle and tub
resins being disposed.  Here are results of the 1998 study for disposal of
plastic bottles by resin in Oregon:

#1 PET - 33.05%
#2 HDPE - 59.47%
#3 PVC - 2.86%
#4 LDPE - 0.34%
#5 PP -  0.89%
#6 PS - 0.03%
#7 Other - 2.78%
unidentified - 0.63%

Thus, the problem resins make up only about 5% of the total plastic bottles
being disposed in Oregon, and much less than that if you look at the total
plastic bottles generated.  Oregon is a bottle bill state, and so our
recovery for plastic soft drink bottles (#1 PET) is very high - over 80%.
Other PET bottles and such as water bottles and almost all HDPE bottles are
not covered under Oregon's law though, but still many are collected through
the Oregon curbside programs.  Most Oregon programs are "all bottle"
collection programs, but #2s and #1s still predominate.

APC has argued that when you change from a specific resin bottle collection
program to an "all bottle" collection program, you get a general increase in
all resins of bottles collected - not just an increase in the 3-7s.  I think
the research they and others have done pretty much backs them up on this, so
that a 1-7 collection program results in more recycling of the 1s and the 2s
as well as some recycling of the 4s, 5s, and some 7s.

How does this square with the issue of saying you are collecting something,
and then throwing it away?  It is still troublesome to collect 3s and 6s and
then dispose of them.

However, if you object to any disposal, then what is your reaction to
commingled collection systems that mix glass bottles with other materials.
Our experience is that the recovery of glass varies widely in these
programs, and that often more than 20% of the glass put out curbside may end
up being disposed.  By comparison, losing 5% of the plastic bottles to
disposal looks small.

Peter Spendelow
Oregon Department of Environmental Quality