[GreenYes] Methane from biomass -- GHG neutral ?
In the technical literature that I have read, it has been stated that CO2
from biomass is GHG neutral, in that the CO2 would have been produced by
nature.

However, methane from solid waste buried in a landfill is not what nature
would have produced, and therefore, the literature says that methane from
biomass in a landfill is not GHG neutral. In fact, methane, over a 100 time
frame, has 21 times the GHG impact of CO2, and, therefore, the production of
methane in a landfill has a very considerable GHG impact.

I have not been able to find any documented studies on the capture
efficiencies of methane extraction systems in landfills. The range of
estimates is generally that the capture systems can recover 50-75% of the
gas, with some estimates ranging higher.

John Reindl, Recycling Manager
Dane County, WI