RE: [GreenYes] recycling plastic number 5's and 6's. -Why makeit at all?
Appropriate technolology vs. technology for its own sake is a valid point -
but let's not attach blame to one nation for this type of thought. The
mentality truly does extend world wide.  The modern ballpoint, or papermate
pen, was actually first developed by the Biro brothers . . . Hungarians . .
. after trying to commercialize the technology in . . . Argentina.  They
formulated a pen that relied upon capilary action rather than gravity (as
earlier models had done)to provide ink flow.  American and British military
pilots later adopted the pen because of its reliability at high altitudes
(my understanding is that pilots didn't want to have to fumble around for a
new instrument if the lead broke on a pencil). I have to plead ignorance on
any later NASA involvement (it wouldn't suprise me) but the "barn doors" had
been open for some time.

I'll agree with the comments on full-cost accounting but wonder if anyone
has any insight on successful examples where the tool has actually been used
to effectively internalize environmental and social costs - or at least how
those costs have been quantified - for a typical consumer product.  Until
that can be done, proponents of more sensible accounting alternatives will
be forced to rely upon qualitative, anecdotal arguments to battle corporate
political support and the multi-million dollar advertising campaigns
targeted at consumers - most of whom have never heard the term
sustainability.

Anyone know of any areas where some progress is being made here?

Happy Holidays,

Jeff