From: "Wayne Turner" <WAYNET@cityofws.org>
To: <swolpow@abacus.bates.edu>; <sp@cast.uark.edu>; <gottlich@infi.net>
Cc: <info@edensterling.com>; <greenyes@grrn.org>
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2001 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: [GreenYes] recycling plastic number 5's and 6's. -Why makeit at
all?

> For all of us 'boomers' who recall the days when there was no such thing
as plastic packaging for sodas and other beverages, this problem didn't
exist.  That's because the glass bottles that contained sodas had an
intrinsic value on them that was determined by the marketplace.  It was
actually less expensive for the bottlers and much more sustainable to pay a
small fee, typically 2 cents in my time, to get the bottles back and reuse
them.  I personally recall summers when I collected bottles and redeemed
them for some spending money.  Place an intrinsic value on anything, even
waste, and you'll be amazed at how creatively people will recover it to
extract the value.

> The advent of plastic bottles, with their low or negligible intrinsic
value obviated this system for the bottlers.  It became cheaper and more
profitable to simply use 'one way' packaging, thus placing the burden of
disposal on the consumer (i.e. the taxpayers).  I certainly don't recall a
hue and cry from the public demanding plastic packaging (bottles).  What
this created was a huge subsidy for the bottlers in that taxpayers
shouldered the burden of the end-of-life for the plastic bottles.  Now, as
taxpayers, we're expected to continue to shoulder that burden by putting in
place recycling programs that cost taxpayers more than it cost the bottlers
to reuse their glass bottles.  The plastics industry (i.e. the petroleum
industry, i.e. the oil industry) is not going to place an intrinsic value on
the plastic bottles based on market price because it's cheaper to produce
from virgin materials than post consumer recyclables.  It's much more
profitable to extract and produce tha!
> n take-back and produce.
>
> Instead of adding layer upon layer of new policies and subsidies, I'd
prefer to see us take an approach that peels back some of the layers to
times when systems were simpler, more sustainable and the costs associated
with producing the products and packages rested solely with the producers
themselves.  Then, we as consumers, can make a choice to purchase based on
the cost and performance of the product without having to concern ourselves
with the end-of-life issue.

<greenyes@grrn.org>