Re: [GreenYes] 'Producer Responsibility' and Consumer Cost
In a message dated 12/13/2001 1:11:21 PM Pacific Standard Time, RJayW2@aol.com writes:
Here's my two-cents worth just to get things going:  I am more than 80% of  the opinion that producer responsibility won't work because even if the producers are made "responsible" for making sure the products and materials they produce are recycled or reused, the costs associated with this will be passed on to...you guessed it....the consumers.  We are footing the bill
already so why bother?   As grandpa used to say, "Am I right or Am I close?"

John:
You are close but 20% off.  We are footing the bill, and because of that it bothers us that we are subsidizing sending resources to be buried in the ground.  If I am to pay the price of disposal, I would rather it be paid in what I buy.  I can control my choices.  I'll bet Grandpa agrees with me.

Those who choose single service convenience should pay in their price the full price of getting the product back to the manufacturer for repair and recycling.  Why should grandpa and I have to share in the expense of cleaning up from the results of their decadence?

The way it is done now is that government intercedes for business and through public contracts for disposal at landfill has everybody subsidizing the pollution of public land.  A true capitalist would want a relationship with their consumers without government help.
Rick

Richard Anthony Associates
ricanthony@aol.com
3891 Kendall Street