[GreenYes] Fwd: Flagwaving vs. concrete patriotism

>From: RonRecycle@aol.com
>Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 18:32:34 EST
>Subject: Flagwaving vs. concrete patriotism

Concrete Patriotism

Recent developments of the last several weeks have left me wondering about
patriotism.

We are spending massive sums of money to fight terrorism, which I am all
for, but some of the terrorism's roots are in the hatred of America's
involvement in the politics of oil-producing regions.  We support a regime
in Saudi Arabia that is not elected, nor popular with its people.  We
fought to protect a non-elected government in Kuwait.  Oil has driven our
political decision making to such a degree that lives are lost and huge,
unproductive sums of money are spent.    Right now, many of our political
leaders have urged us to show our patriotism by spending.  I think the kind
of spending we all need to do is buy a vehicle that uses less fuel. That's
what I did.  I gave up my beloved Lexus LS400 to buy a Toyota Prius, a
gas/electric hybrid.  For $20,000 I bought a car that can haul 5 people and
a huge trunk full of stuff at 48 miles per gallon instead of 18, almost
three times my former mileage.  (I really wanted the Honda Insight, which
gets 65 miles per gallon, but it only seats 2.)   As far as I'm concerned,
that's concrete patriotism.  (An American car company has yet to produce
such a vehicle. Not patriotic.)

Hat's off to the city of San Francisco, which recently decided to put solar
panels on many of its public buildings, and make money available for
private homes and businesses to add solar to their rooftops.  Once
implemented, San Franciscans will have doubled the entire solar energy
production in the United States.  That's concrete patriotism.

Boeing just invented the world's most efficient solar cell.  Boeing is also
one of the largest defense contractors in the country.  Perhaps their
corporate thinking went something like this:  "A lot of our military
hardware is sold to protect our country's ability to get oil.  This costs
the country a lot of money, and a lot of lives to defend unpopular
regimes.  What if we just get the country off oil in the first
place?  Let's invent a much better solar cell and help wean the country off
of why they need so much of our military hardware in the first place."  Who
knows if that was their thinking - but that would be concrete patriotism.

As a society, I feel we are like crack cocaine addicts.  Instead of
protecting our sources of crack cocaine (oil), let's get off the damned
stuff.  Our leaders should act like responsible doctors and refuse to keep
writing prescriptions for our addiction, and practice preventive medicine
for a change.  That would be concrete patriotism.
Ron Schweitzer
209 Glendora Ave.
Long Beach, California 90803
562-433-7673
RonRecycle@aol.com
Ron started and was President of a recycling company from 1987 until
selling it in 1999.

Gary Liss
916-652-7850
Fax: 916-652-0485