Re: [GreenYes] LEAKY STORAGE TANKS
Good work, Bruce Arkwright, Jr! Even if GRRN as an organization cannot take
action on a dime, GRRN does us all a service by maintaining this email list
so we can raise -- and respond to-- issues as individuals. Underground
Storage Tanks (USTs) are the bailiwick of EPA's Office of Underground
Storage Tanks (!). Visit their website at:
http://www.epa.gov/swerust1/

Like all mature bureaucratic responses to environmental problems, this one
seems to have retreated beyond the public's attention. (Poor public, so
many problems to attend to, so little time...) There are still hundreds of
thousands of USTs (many under people's homes) waiting for attention. It can
do no harm to contact your local OUST regional office and see if there's a
delinquent large-scale UST near you that could use some visibility. Then
write a letter to the local paper reminding the owner/operator that the
public is waiting for action. It is the sunshine of public attention that
heals these infections.

One of the things that keeps me going is that even a few of us, picking
just a few of these small actions, just a few times, makes a difference.
After all, there are SO MANY of us that we can share the work and not all
have to do everything! That's why a list like this one, that reaches so
many people, gives such hope: maybe one person out there will get on the
UST's case who wouldn't have without learning about it on this list...

H.