Re: [GreenYes] Packer Trucks
I'm uncomfortable correcting my mentor and hero, Peter Anderson, but...
We have just accepted a bid for a 40-yard front load packer here for $170,000; which was not the lowest bid, but they did range up to $180,000.  Perhaps Wisconsin is blessed with lower costs ?? or maybe we just get ripped off here??

Also, we're required to run with a driver and "co-pilot", who essentially spots maneuvering the vehicle around tight campus locations, and picks up refuse which has spilled from the container when dumping.    Is this practice unique to our operation, or do others use a "team"?

Pete Pasterz, Manager
Office of Recycling and Waste Management
Michigan State University

Chair, College and University Recycling Council
Vice President, National Recycling Coalition

"UNLESS someone like YOU cares a whole awful lot,
 nothing is going to get better.   It's not." -- The Lorax

>>> "Peter Anderson" <anderson@recycleworlds.org> 10/22/01 10:47AM >>>
Steve Hammer asks: "Does anyone have any ballpark estimates of what it costs
to run a packer =
truck per mile.  Obviously, this will vary significantly by labor costs =
and the number of stops involved, but any studies you could refer me to =
would be appreciated."

It depends (sorry Steve, but as a "two handed economist," couldn't resist).

But, depending on whether you're using a low end rear, side or high end
front end loader, the capital cost can be $80,000 to $130,000. Depreciated
life depends on maintenance and overhaul practices, but generally is put
down as 8 years. The annual labor expense for a one operator vehicle is
approximately $40,000, including benefits and overheads.  Plug in the
entity's cost of money and the miles per day for the kind of route your
truck is driving and you can calculate an answer with a financial
calculator. You should probably also reflect in there downtime (typically a
backup truck is required for every five packers).

                                                                    Peter

Peter Anderson
RECYCLEWORLDS CONSULTING Corp
4513 Vernon Blvd. Suite 15