Re: [GreenYes] Fw: Students learn the up side of plastic
Dear Bill,

The Berkeley Plastics Task Force Report points to many of the negative
aspects of plastics that get greenwashed by the plastics industry.

http://www.mindfully.org/Berkeley/Berkeley-Plastics-Task-Force.htm

In the contents, go to #9 "Seven Common Misconceptions About Plastics" in
the report explains why all of the following are misconceptions.

1.  Plastics that go into a curbside recycling bin get recycled.
2.  Curbside collection will reduce the amount of plastic landfilled.
3.  A chasing arrows symbol means a plastic container is recyclable.
4.  Packaging resins are made from petroleum refineries' waste.
5.  Plastics recyclers pay to promote plastics' recyclability.
6.  Using plastic containers conserves energy.
7.  Our choice is limited to recycling or wasting.

And if those are not enough to completely debunk the industry brainwashing
of our precious children, then revert to the health issues. Here's a few
questions that most likely won't be answered properly by the industry
representative.

1.  Since it is known by the whole plastics industry that dioxin is an
unavoidable byproduct of PVC production and incineration, isn't it then an
intentional creation of dioxin to make it or to incinerate it?
2.  Since dioxin is a known endocrine disruptor that can alter sex, create
many future health problems including cancer, and can be passed on to
infants through the mother's milk, shouldn't we stop making PVC?
3.  If industry knows all that and continues to make it, aren't they being
disrespectful of peoples' lives?
4.  I heard that for the most part, PVC isn't recycled. Does some of it go
to incinerators? Does some our PVC waste get landfilled or incinerated in
other countries that are not as rich as the US?
5. Why do we keep making PVC when so much of it has a negative effect on the
health of people and the environment?

Most other plastics have negative health effects as well.  Let me know if
you'd like more please.

Best regards,
Paul

Paul Goettlich