[GreenYes] recycling tidbits
Hello--

The following website has a great collection of "factoids" concerning
recycling, conservation, energy, garbage, etc.

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~recycle/Factoids.htm

A few of my favorites:

--A standard showerhead uses about 5-7 gallons of water per minute (gpm)- so
even a 5-minute shower can consume 35 gallons!

--Believe it or not: Dust on a light bulb or dirt on a glass fixture can
reduce the light it gives off by 10 percent and make it seem that you need a
brighter, higher wattage bulb.

--The average American car driven 10,000 miles will release approximately
its own weight, one to two tons, in carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

--There are enough chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) embedded in a single styrofoam
cooler to destroy all the ozone over an area the size of 20 football fields.

--Recycling a glass jar saves enough energy to light bulb for four hours.

--Enough aluminum is thrown away to rebuild our commercial air fleet 4 times
every year.

--Every year enough paper is thrown away to make a 12' wall from New York to
California.

--A person uses two pine trees’ worth of paper products each year.

--Tires are recycled by turning them into ground rubber "crumbs" that are
then added to asphalt for paving roads, running tracks, runways, and
playgrounds. The result: pavement life is increased four to five times.

Cheers,
jessica
jborn@recyclingteam.org