[GreenYes] energy supply
The kind posts responding to me lead me to two further suggestions:

Developing technologies for stand-alone facilities, an important,
anti-terrorist strategy, is a promising path where renewable
technologies will have advantages they often lack in places where the
electic grid is the norm.

Countries (and special regions and places, like islands, e.g.) without
the burden of such infra-structures as the grid or the US transportation
system are places where developers of renewable technologies are gaining
footholds with renewable technologies.  Insightful advocates of
renewable technologies will ponder how to build on those cases.

Yet as a recyling community, I think we have to realize, as well, that
US reliance on coal can change no faster than alternatives are on line
to take the place of coal.  With the millions of tons we burn daily,
that means continued reliance for a long time.  So do we want to promote
alternative coal technologies that avoid NOXs and capture elemental
sulphur as a byproduct?  I should think so.

Don Scherer