[GreenYes]
Hi everybody--

I just joined this list because a task force on the quality of our work environment has been created at my organization.  We are in the process of assessing waste streams and costs.  Currently, I'm hearing from paper representatives, etc.  that recycled paper is more expensive.  We buy a heckavu lot of paper here (350 tons per year), so we get a deal on virgin paper -- $4.15 per 1000 sheets when we buy 5 skids of paper at a time and store it in our print shop as we use it (mainly for the copiers and printers upstairs).   At that volume, we get a great price.  If we tried to buy one skid of recycled paper of these five, we'd end up paying more for both per sheet because of the volume is reduced on the sale of the most available product: virgin paper.   The price if we bought 5 skids of recycled paper would be $4.60.  So, since we trying to get into buying recycled and we don't have infinited storage capacity (no more than 5 skids at a time), we're a little stuck.

Economically speaking (and of course, that's not using full cost accounting but unfortunately we're a ways away from that - we still externalize all the costs like most everyone else), the virgin paper is cheaper.

We're instituting a reuse policy to reuse paper printed on one side and then discarded, but really we'd hoped that recycled paper would be about the same cost or less.

I need information to beat these prices if possible or at least hints on how to handle this.  EVERY company that assesses this must hit this barrier.  The government basically mandated that 30 percent of its paper be recycled.  Is that what it takes 10-15 years after recycled paper became available -- a mandate from above?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff