[GreenYes] W32.Sircam.Worm@mm - Warning
Dear List Members:

There is a new computer virus that has recently surfaced called the W32.Sircam.Worm@mm.  This virus propogates very rapidly by e-mail and is great concern to me since I have had a number of colleagues hit by this virus already and I have received several infected e-mails which I was fortunately able to intercept.  I am recommending that everyone take the following precautions:

1. Consult the following webpage at the Symantic AV Center

It identifies the typical attack pattern employed by this virus including the type of subject and message text used in infected e-mails.

2. Immediately update the virus defintion files of your A-V software (even if you did last week!).  Also make sure that the AV auto-protect feature has been enabled.  Some computers get infected because the auto-protect feature was turned off prior to installation of new software and then not enabled again after the installation has been completed.

3. After you have updated your AV software, run a general scan of all your hard drives (and even removable drives if appropriate) to make sure you are not infected. If you are, consult the website of your AV software for removal instructions.

4. To be on the safe side, delete any e-mail messages from unknown sources with attachments. (This is another reason why attachments should not be sent to Internet discussion lists - provide a web page reference or request that you be contacted for the source document.)  If the message source is familiar to you, contact them anyway to make sure they actually did send a file to you.

Sincerely,

Roger M. Guttentag