[GreenYes] another question of language
Since there have been musings today about the use of language ("problem
bins") I thought that I'd canvass the list on this issue.
I find it very appropriate that the English word "waste" should have two
quite distinct but related meanings - "rubbish" and "to use in a profligate
manner."  It must say something about the culture in which the meanings
evolved that the same word is used for both.  I have asked a French friend
(who works as a translator) and there is no such overlap of meaning in the
various French terms.  I have also asked a Catalan friend (who also works
as a translator in several European languages) and he knows of no other
language that has a single word that includes both concepts.  (He also gave
a diatribe on how only a crude, bastardised language such as English would
allow one word to be both a verb and a noun, but that's a different
matter).
Does anyone know of any other language (and, one supposes, culture) that
recognises that "waste" is "a waste"?