Re: [GreenYes] Why people recycle in 2001.
Dear John and GreenYes:

Let me clarify this situation (see previous messages below to understand
what I am referring to).  On 7/27/01 Bill Sheehan forwarded to this list on
behalf of someone the following question:

"I am looking for literature that quantitatively addresses the question,
'What motivates people to recycle?'"

The message went on to say ".  I want to review the literature on how
researchers have attempted to answer it and what kind of conclusions they've
reached."

I remembered that John Reindl made a similar request last year,  found the
message that he sent to this list on 12/11/00 and then copied / pasted  it
into my reply of 7/27/01 with some other references.

A message was sent on 7/27/01 from e-mail address CEFG, identified as C.
William, that did not do a careful abstract from my message and, when
combined with the writer's opinion that "a whole lot of people 'could care
less'," created for some the false impression that this opinion originated
from John Reindl - someone who in my judgement would never make such a
statement.

In my opinion, the writer's dismissal of research on the issue of why people
recycled published previous to 1998 is unsound simply because 1) no proof
was been offered that this research is invalid, 2)you need to know what the
previous findings were in order to know if any recent findings (say within
the last two years) are showing any significant differences and 3) you can't
know what parameters still need to be addressed by new research.

Finally, if the writer was interested only in research conducted within the
last two years then frankly the request was badly framed resulting in the
wasting of my time and anyone else who considered answering the original
request.

Sincerely,

Roger M. Guttentag
610-584-8836