RE: [GreenYes] plastic bags - let's have some shared responsibility
Glen,
Here's the web site for Cascadian Farms: http://www.cfarm.com/index.asp .
Their focus is on organic foods, but maybe you could contact them and see if
they are open to exploring alternatives to their plastic packaging.  I wish
I knew if there WERE alternatives - but for frozen veggies, I'm not too
optimistic.

I really liked Melissa's story yesterday about the clerk who took back the
plastic bag and threw it away, thus defeating the entire purpose of NOT
using a bag....it's a constant process of educating people who don't know
what we know.

As committed environmentalists, we all have to make choices like yours all
the time - the organic veggies are a priority for you, but there may be a
trade-off as opposed to buying fresh veggies that aren't organic.  You have
to decide which is most important and where to pick your battles.

Trex works here on the East Coast as well - they have a plant in Winchester
VA and they buy back the bags from Giant and the other regional grocery
stores.  The problem with plastic bag collection is the space it takes to
store them - I have done the math on this, and to generate a full (40,000
lb) tractor trailer of plastic bags and other film would take close to 1
million bags (at 3/4 of an ounce each).  Even here on Fort Belvoir, with the
largest Commissary in the known world, it would take more than a year to
generate that many bags - much less collect them all, clean and dry, bale
them and store them, etc.  So we bundle them up and take them to the closest
Giant every so often, and we wish Trex could help with a regional collection
route, but so far no luck.

Keep up the good work, all!
Terri Steen