[GreenYes] Mr. Cato
Dear GRRN:

I’ve copied the emails I received from Mr. Cato. I think in the beginning
I tried to exchange emails with him (reference to his bashing of my
character in the last of the three emails below).  Since then, I have
just been too busy to reply to his comments.  And in reality, nothing I
say will change his mind or his style of emails.  It is interesting to
note that he usually sends his comments only to the originator of the
email that he finds offensive.  Or at least that is what shows when
checking the send to field.  Who else he could be bcc is an unknown.

I do know that it is a common tactic for people to join listserves for
the purpose of disrupting the discussion on those listserves.  This
action is called “freeping” and is conducted by “freepers”.   In Mr.
Cato’s case, he was an affective tool in drumming support to stop the
discussion on GRRN, of the ramifications of whether to actually count all
the Florida votes or not.  The end result of using this tactic in all
media markets and discussion groups is that republicans exerted more
pressure on the Florida situation, creating the national impression that
Americans did not care who won and just wanted the whole thing over.  And
resulted in stopping the actual count of all the votes.  And yes, as we
have seen over the past four months, this has lead to negative US and
international environmental policy and program ramifications.    Politics
has major impacts on environmental policy and it does matter who wins and
it is worth the time fighting for honest elections.

It is up to the GRRN Board to decide if someone’s presence on this
listserve is a benefit or a detriment.  I would recommend that you read
his comments and based on those he shared with me, make a decision about
whether he believes in GRRN’s Mission and Principles.  If you decide he
does not and given the pain he has caused other GRRN members, then block
him from this listserve.

If his comments help improve the discussion of the issue, if they bring
in new insights and point out where further research is needed, then he
is providing a service to the GRRN listserve.  And he should stay.  But I
don’t find his comments to contribute to the discussion.  I find them
inflammatory and unnecessary.  But they are effective, and as a result, I
am more careful in posting information and less interested in entering
any philosophical policy discussion on the GRRN listserve.  A little hate
goes a long way in taking joy out of life and energy out of activism.

Sincerely,

Ann Schneider

This was Mr. Cato’s response to a posting I forwarded about a workplace
discriminitation suit against Coca-Cola where I suggested that we might
find additional shareholder allies for the Coke Campaign.