Re: [GreenYes] energy (and other) savings through recycling
and, recycling can help CONSERVE energy. . . . . . . .

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE           CONTACT:Pat Franklin
                                                 Executive Director (703)
276-9800
May 23, 2000                            Jenny Gitlitz Sr. Research Assoc.
                                                 (508) 793-8516

Aluminum Can Recycling Rate Dispute Continues

CRI says the correct rate for the year 2000 is 55%, not 62.1%
Larger issue is 4-year decline in aluminum can recycling

ARLINGTON, VA (May 22, 2001)-- The Container Recycling Institute (CRI), a
nonprofit research group, reports that the U.S. aluminum can recycling rate
dropped to 54.5 percent in 2000, more than 7 percentage points lower than
the rate reported by the Aluminum Association in April 2001.
“The industry methodology is flat out wrong,” said Pat Franklin, executive
director of CRI.  “By including imported used cans in the number of cans
recycled in the U.S., the Aluminum Association inflates the domestic
recycling rate.  The Container Recycling Institute’s methodology excludes
these imported scrap aluminum cans, thereby arriving at a more accurate
domestic recycling rate.  Our method is consistent with the measurement
methodology used by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.”
Franklin pointed out that whether one accepts the Aluminum Association’s
methodology or CRI’s methodology, the more relevant issue is the fact that
aluminum beverage can recycling has declined every year for the last four
years. “No matter whose method of measurement you use,” said Franklin,
“fewer pounds of aluminum cans were recycled last year than in any year
since 1990.”
“Our calculations show that 1.4 billion pounds of aluminum cans were
landfilled, incinerated or littered last year272 million pounds more than
were wasted in 1990,” said Jennifer Gitlitz, CRI senior research
associate.  “The energy required to replace these wasted cans with new cans
made from virgin materials could supply the electricity needs of over three
million American households for a year,” Gitlitz said.  She said aluminum
manufacturing impacts water quality and wildlife habitat in the United
States, Canada, and many other parts of the world, and produces emissions
that contribute to global warming.
“These new statistics on aluminum can wasting come at a time when the
nation faces an energy crisis,” Gitlitz added, “especially in the Pacific
Northwest, where 40% of the nation’s primary aluminum is produced.”
CRI will be releasing a report on aluminum can recycling and wasting in
June 2001.
# # #