Fwd [GreenYes] Energy Savings from Recycling
Some energy savings info from the CA Integrated Waste Management Board.
Hope this helps!

Gary Liss
 From CIWMB:
How can recycling conserve energy?

·       ·        If you look at the big picture of what it takes to create
a product from scratch - to get the raw materials, transport them, process
them and manufacture them - making goods with recycled materials like
paper, plastic, glass and metal is a major energy saver.

·       ·        A Seattle economist, Jeffery Morris, has really looked at
this.  He estimates that manufacturing one (1) ton of office and computer
paper with recycled paper stock can save nearly 3,000 kilowatt hours over
the same ton of paper made with virgin wood products.

·       ·        A ton of PET plastic containers made with recycled plastic
conserves about 7,200 kilowatt hours.

·       ·        A ton of soda cans made with recycled aluminum saves an
amazing 21,000 kilowatt hours by reducing the virgin bauxite
(bo-zite) ore that would have to be mined, shipped and
refined.  That's a 95 percent energy savings.

·       ·        One recycled aluminum can saves enough electricity to run
a computer for three hours.

·       ·        The San Diego County Office of Education has figured out
that recycling one glass bottle saves enough energy to light a
100-watt light bulb for four (4) hours.

·       ·        The Steel Recycling Institute has some impressive figures,
too. Steel is the number-one recycled material in the U.S. and each year,
steel recycling saves enough energy to electrically power the equivalent of
18 million homes for a year.  Sure makes you appreciate that can of
peaches, doesn't it?

From:
<http://online.cl-p.com/smartliving/SavingEnergy/Recycling.asp>http://online
.cl-p.com/smartliving/SavingEnergy<http://online.cl-p.com/smartliving/Saving
Energy/Recycling.asp>/Recycling.asp
Recycling Saves Energy, Too
For every soft drink bottle you recycle, you save enough energy to run a
television set for an hour and a half.
Recycling aluminum requires only a tenth as much electricity as making the
same aluminum from virgin bauxite ore.
Making recycled paper uses 30-55% less energy than making paper out of new
trees.

From:
<http://www.dced.state.ut.us/energy/recyclefacts.html>http://www.dced.state.
ut.us/energy/recyclefacts<http://www.dced.state.ut.us/energy/recyclefacts.ht
ml>.html
Recycling saves energy, thus reducing acid rain, global warming and air
pollution.
Recycling aluminum uses 95 percent less energy than producing aluminum
products from raw materials. Recycling paper uses 60 percent less energy
than manufacturing paper from virgin fiber. Recycling a glass jar saves
enough energy to light a 100-watt light bulb for four hours.

Gary Liss
916-652-7850
Fax: 916-652-0485