Re: [GreenYes] Small business recycling
Hi Tom:

for many small businesses it is hard to get sufficient quantity to
attract recyclers but you have a couple of options:

1. Bring materials to a drop off or buy back as your Office Green Team
Representative
2. Work with adjacent businesses to share collection containers so you
have sufficient quantities to attract a recycler.
3. Bring the materials home to your curbside program
4. If, IF, see if you local residential curbside program has a program
that will collect from small businesses.
5. See if you can get your janitorial service to provide recycling.
6. If you do have a recycler for your OCC see if you can negotiate with
them to take your other typical office recyclables, office pack, cans and
bottles.
7. See if you have a conservation corp or other non-profit group that
provides collection to small businesses.

It wasn't all that long ago that recycling programs in even the big
corporations like Hewlett Packard were started and managed by
"volunteers" within the company.  In fact, even today in Silicon Valley
many of the large firm recycling programs (with sufficient quantities to
attract recycling collection firms) are run by volunteers.  So, you won't
be alone.

Ann Schneider
Started my career as Hewlett Packards "volunteer" recycling coordinator
in 1986.

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 16:11:24 -0500 TomT <tomt@mwes.com> writes:
> I was wondering if anyone had any good information on office
> recycling.
> Currently, I am the only one (out of 30 employees) who recycles
> paper.
> Everyone else throws it in the trash, including my boss.
>
> We do recycle cardboard, but I was wondering if anyone had any good
> resources I could check into.
>
> I was giving my boss a hard time about recycling and he said that I
> could be
> 'in charge' of the company recycling program.  I believe it was half
> in
> jest, but I'm sure if I could come up w/ something reasonable, I
> might get a
> couple more people to recycle.
>
> Thanks!

Ann Schneider
Ann Schneider & Associates - Reuse, Recycling & Environmental Consulting
Services
SchneiderAnn@juno.com
430 Hillwood Ct.    Mtn. View, CA 94040        650 962-0404 / 650
988-1368 fax
*Prevent spinal injuries caused from holding a phone on your shoulder,
use a headset!*