[GreenYes] Arctic National Wildlife Refuge Demise
I agree with Peter in wanting to protect the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
I share his anger, but for a completely different reason.   Before I tell you
why I would like all Greenyes subscribers to get up right now, walk to a door
or window or any place you can view your gasoline-powered vehicle and ponder
this:  We can either try and provide at least a portion of the fuel you need
to power this vehicle on this continent or we can continue to increasingly
rely on the Middle East to keep our motorized vehicles rolling.

Now this is where my anger and concern comes in.  I lost a dear friend and
former colleague in the Gulf War.  The Gulf War--don't fool yourselves--was
fought so we can continue driving our gasoline powered vehicles.  Our
dependence on oil from this region grows yearly because there are a few areas
in the United States where we are no longer allowed to drill and explore for
oil.  These areas are the 50 states and all oceans surrounding the U.S.
Everything is fragile.  Everything should be protected.  With this in mind
please be aware dear Greenyes subscribers that some year--perhaps this
year--perhaps in 10 years or even 20 years--we will be forced by necessity to
once again engage militarily in the Middle East to protect the flow of oil.

You've taken a look at your motor vehicles.  Now find a picture of your
children or grandchildren.  These are the folks who may be fighting the next
fight for oil in the Middle East.  Are you prepared to lose them?  Are you?
Really?

Before we get all bent out of shape about the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
(or Santa Monica Bay or any of a million other pristine places on our
continent where we may not explore for oil) please PLEASE be aware that we
cannot have our cake (oil) and eat it too (in a pristine America).  To think
we can continue to consume oil at our current rate and not pay a price is
grandiose and delusional.  We need to turn our thoughts toward a long-haul
solution to our energy needs.

Thanks for letting me have my say.  This is a great forum for the exchange of
ideas and thoughts.

John Waddell
KJWB Publications, Inc.
RJayW2@aol.com